October 5, 2009
- Stella Artois, near the Tower of London. Recommended to me by Nega Maami.
- Amstel, at Henry’s Bar in Piccadilly. Also a Nega recommendation. Dry and delicious.
- Cobra, along with delicious paalak paneer at a place called… Punjabi Spice? Punjabi Spirit in Hounslow. As strong as Kingfisher, without the unpleasant aftertaste.
- Warsteiner, on the Lufthansa flight to New York.
- Heartland Brewery Wheat Lager once I got to New York. Not too bad. It was Masabi who suggested meeting at Heartland Brewery, and I have to thank him for it.
- Heartland Brewery Pumpkin Ale. Delicious, but an acquired taste. With every sip, I thought to myself – ‘Is this really beer?’
- Sam Adams, in the Dulles lounge. If this is the pinnacle of mainstream American beers, I weep for that unhappy nation.
- Uerige Alt in Düsseldorf. Even more of an acquired taste than the pumpkin ale, and very difficult to get used to if practically all your beer till date has been lagers.
- Franiskaner Weissbier at Frankfurt. This, I think, is the start of a beautiful friendship.
I tried nothing at all in Texas, mostly because I was far too zonked. Corona will have to wait for another time.
September 27, 2008
Yesterday, Skimpy forwarded me this link, and immediately changed his tagline to “2 dollars. Why didn’t I bid for Lehman Brothers?”. This sparked the following conversation.
me: Look at it this wat
$2 = 93 rupees
with that you could buy a hummus and pita bread
and have some change left over
would you be happier owning Lehman?
Karthik: 11 11
me: or having hummus and pita bread
The original inspiration for using Lebanese fast food as a standard store of value came from this profound post by Kunal. Please read it.
Later on in that conversation, I brought up employee buyouts. But things quickly took a scatalogical and American-beer-bashing turn:
me: you know
at two dollars, why didn’t the employees buy Lehman?
would’ve beenfight to split the cost da
2K people together put together 2$ => each guy pays 0.1 cent
how do they pay that to each other?
me: in beer
Karthik: dei you don’t even get half a glass of beer for 2$
so what? each guy contributes a drop or what?
me: or they can deduct it from their PF
American beer is piss
me: each Lehman Europe banker contributes one drop of piss
that’s tough too
just one dro
me: sells it to Dick Fuld as Budweiser
It’s not that tough. They can use droppers or something.